Police clamp down on problem parking continues as officers blitz Ely
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire Constabulary’s high-profile crackdown on problem parking in Ely continued on Saturday as officers handed out more than 20 tickets in just a few hours.
PCSOs Maria Robinson and Matt Chennell have responded to a barrage of “daily complaints” about parking in the city by carrying out a series of patrols in the city centre in recent weeks.
And, on Saturday, in their latest blitz, the duo handed out a total of 21 penalty tickets to vehicles they say were parked illegally.
PCSO Robinson said: “Whilst conducting these patrols, 21 fixed penalty notices were issued to vehicles parked illegally. This included three on Fore Hill for causing an unnecessary obstruction to other road users.
“This clearly demonstrates that despite officers continually issuing fixed penalty notices at this location, some drivers continue to park their vehicles at the location causing a risk to other road users.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst addressing this issue we also managed to engage with the shopkeepers and shoppers alike. Thank you for your continued support and don’t forget to come and speak to us should you ever want a chat or advice.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Should the police be cracking down on parking or would resources be better placed elsewhere? E-mail your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k