Spate of burglaries sees police chase across East Cambs lead to vehicle colliding with lorry on A14 as suspects flee
- Credit: Archant
A vehicle drove the wrong way down the A14 and collided with a lorry before suspects fled the scene following a spate of burglaries.
The incident happened this morning after a police pursuit following four businesses being targeted by thieves in Burwell and Soham.
A vehicle suspected as being involved was spotted by police and a pursuit and stinger was deployed.
A spokesperson from Cambridgeshire Constabulary said: “We were called concerning four business burglaries overnight in South and East Cambridgeshire.
“The first incident took place at about 12.20am today (November 6) at a branch of Spar in London Road, Six Mile Bottom. An unsuccessful attempt was made to break into the premises and the people involved left empty handed.
“At about 12.45am we received a further call concerning people attempting to break into a branch of Co-Op in North Street, Burwell. Again this attempt was unsuccessful.
“Shortly after this second incident we received an additional call concerning people trying to break into Web Sight Dispensing Opticians in The Causeway, Burwell.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
“Officers attended the scene and a vehicle suspected of being involved in the incidents was identified. The driver failed to stop and a pursuit took place, where the vehicle went the wrong way along the A14 before colliding with a HGV. The suspects fled the scene following the collision.
“In a fourth incident, which may not be linked, three people entered Webb Stores, in Fordham Road, Soham, at about 6.15am and stole the till before leaving the scene.
“An investigation is ongoing into all four incidents, but no arrests have yet been made.
“Anyone with information regarding this incident should call police on 101 quoting 35/42880/18. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.”