Spate of burglaries sees police chase across East Cambs lead to vehicle colliding with lorry on A14 as suspects flee
- Credit: Archant
A vehicle drove the wrong way down the A14 and collided with a lorry before suspects fled the scene following a spate of burglaries.
The incident happened this morning after a police pursuit following four businesses being targeted by thieves in Burwell and Soham.
A vehicle suspected as being involved was spotted by police and a pursuit and stinger was deployed.
A spokesperson from Cambridgeshire Constabulary said: “We were called concerning four business burglaries overnight in South and East Cambridgeshire.
“The first incident took place at about 12.20am today (November 6) at a branch of Spar in London Road, Six Mile Bottom. An unsuccessful attempt was made to break into the premises and the people involved left empty handed.
You may also want to watch:
“At about 12.45am we received a further call concerning people attempting to break into a branch of Co-Op in North Street, Burwell. Again this attempt was unsuccessful.
“Shortly after this second incident we received an additional call concerning people trying to break into Web Sight Dispensing Opticians in The Causeway, Burwell.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
“Officers attended the scene and a vehicle suspected of being involved in the incidents was identified. The driver failed to stop and a pursuit took place, where the vehicle went the wrong way along the A14 before colliding with a HGV. The suspects fled the scene following the collision.
“In a fourth incident, which may not be linked, three people entered Webb Stores, in Fordham Road, Soham, at about 6.15am and stole the till before leaving the scene.
“An investigation is ongoing into all four incidents, but no arrests have yet been made.
“Anyone with information regarding this incident should call police on 101 quoting 35/42880/18. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.”