Police Car in Smash As Suspect Driver Arrested
SHOCKED onlookers told the Ely Standard of something straight out of a Charlie Chaplin film at a Littleport road junction yesterday afternoon (Thursday) as police pursued a suspect driver. The driver collided with one of the parish council s large plan
SHOCKED onlookers told the Ely Standard of "something straight out of a Charlie Chaplin film" at a Littleport road junction yesterday afternoon (Thursday) as police pursued a suspect driver.
The driver collided with one of the parish council's large plant pots on Wellington Street and ran out of his car, but the pursuing officer ground his patrol car to a halt, set off on foot and the teenager was arrested.
But the officer in question, who police have not named, "did not fully apply the handbrake" and his squad car rolled back into the path of an oncoming vehicle, whose driver got out, leaving his automatic in drive mode, and the car shunted the police car into a brick wall near Catherine Fish Bar.
No one was injured in the collision, but Wellington Street was closed for more than an hour and Manchetts recovery service later towed a maroon Fiat Punto from the scene.
You may also want to watch:
18-year-old Tony Adams from The Hythe, Littleport, has been charged with driving whilst disqualified, driving without insurance and failing to stop for a police officer.
Cambridgeshire Police today recovered CCTV footage from Littleport parish council and said insurance costs will be settled between the force and the driver involved.
- 1 Holiday park 'honoured' to host Cambridge Boat Race teams
- 2 Cambridgeshire mourns death of HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
- 3 Youngsters finally get their wish thanks to new goalposts
- 4 Museum shares historical photos of Ely Market and its royal visitors
- 5 'Lot wrong' but opponents admit concrete plant expansion defeat
- 6 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 7 Rats spotted around overflowing bins in Ely
- 8 'Cash strapped' force picks up bill for 120 Boat Race police
- 9 Mum-of-two battling arthritis tackles year-long workout test
- 10 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease