Police Car in Smash As Suspect Driver Arrested
SHOCKED onlookers told the Ely Standard of something straight out of a Charlie Chaplin film at a Littleport road junction yesterday afternoon (Thursday) as police pursued a suspect driver. The driver collided with one of the parish council s large plan
SHOCKED onlookers told the Ely Standard of "something straight out of a Charlie Chaplin film" at a Littleport road junction yesterday afternoon (Thursday) as police pursued a suspect driver.
The driver collided with one of the parish council's large plant pots on Wellington Street and ran out of his car, but the pursuing officer ground his patrol car to a halt, set off on foot and the teenager was arrested.
But the officer in question, who police have not named, "did not fully apply the handbrake" and his squad car rolled back into the path of an oncoming vehicle, whose driver got out, leaving his automatic in drive mode, and the car shunted the police car into a brick wall near Catherine Fish Bar.
No one was injured in the collision, but Wellington Street was closed for more than an hour and Manchetts recovery service later towed a maroon Fiat Punto from the scene.
You may also want to watch:
18-year-old Tony Adams from The Hythe, Littleport, has been charged with driving whilst disqualified, driving without insurance and failing to stop for a police officer.
Cambridgeshire Police today recovered CCTV footage from Littleport parish council and said insurance costs will be settled between the force and the driver involved.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 4 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 7 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Win vouchers to spend at supermarket
- 9 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 10 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium