Police arrest three men suspected of entering UK illegally
- Credit: Archant
Farm workers discovered three men stowed away in the back of a lorry in Barway this afternoon (Friday).
The three men were found in the lorry, which had arrived at G’s Fresh, in Barway, at about 3.40pm
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said the men were all in the 20s and were believed to have arrived in the UK from Spain.
The men were arrested on suspicion of entering the country illegally.
In January, SE Cambridgeshire MP Sir Jim Paice said that an increase in cases of illegal immigrants hiding on board lorries bound for East Cambridgeshire had become a “very serious and major issue” that threatened food supplies.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking in Parliament, Sir Jim said that Barway-based G’s Fresh, one of the largest farming groups in the region, had seen a big increase in cases in 2014, including three incidents in just a week leading up to Christmas.
In one incident, on December 15, 12 people – four of them children - were found hiding inside a lorry that had arrived in Barway from Spain.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station