MP 'very pleased' after becoming Solicitor General again
- Credit: Lucy Frazer's Office
SE Cambs MP Lucy Frazer has new a job following changes announced by the prime minister after the decision by the Attorney General to take maternity leave.
Ms Frazer will become Solicitor General – for the second time – as Suella Braverman becomes the first Cabinet-level minister to go on maternity leave. The law was changed to allow her to do so.
She has been designated Minister on Leave (Attorney General) during her six months of maternity leave.
Her role as Attorney General will be filled by Michael Ellis, who has been promoted from Solicitor General.
His replacement is Ms Frazer, who was in the Ministry of Justice.
A Downing Street statement said: "The Prime Minister gives the Attorney General his very best wishes for her maternity leave and looks forward to welcoming her back in the autumn."
Mr Ellis and Ms Frazer have been appointed to their roles during Ms Braverman's leave.
- 1 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 8 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
She was only able to take time off from her ministerial position after the Ministerial and Other Maternity Allowances Act was passed by Parliament on Monday.
Before the passage of the legislation Ms Braverman would have had to resign if she wanted to take time off with her baby.
Ms Frazer said: “I am very pleased to be appointed as Solicitor General for England and Wales.
“I look forward to working with the new Attorney General, Michael Ellis, on making law and politics work together at the heart of the UK constitution.”
The SE Cambs MP previously served as Solicitor General in 2019, from May 9 to July 25.
She will join the Privy Council shortly having been approved by the Queen.
Alongside the Attorney General, the Solicitor General will oversee the work of the law officers' departments which include the Crown Prosecution Service and Serious Fraud Office, and the Government Legal Department and HM Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate.
The Solicitor General also carries out a number of functions in the public interest, such as considering unduly lenient sentences, and taking action when there has been a contempt of court. These functions are carried out independently of their role as a Government minister.
Ms. Frazer was previously a Minister of State at the Ministry of Justice, from July 25, 2019 to March 2, 2021.
She was previously Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice. She was elected as Conservative MP for SE Cambridgeshire in 2015