Ely Hero Awards 2020: Littleport plumber who offered free repair work for NHS staff is nominated as most amazing professional
- Credit: Daniel Lawrence Plumbing Heating
A Littleport plumber who has been offering his services for free to NHS staff during lockdown has been nominated for an Ely Hero award.
Daniel Lawrence, who started his business just two years ago, has repaired broken boilers, taps - and even helped vulnerable customers with shopping.
He was nominated in the Most Amazing Professional category for the Ely Hero Awards 2020 – which have been postponed due to Covid-19.
The person who put Daniel’s name forward described him as “honest, generous and caring”.
They said: “He works 24 hours a day seven days a week to ensure he is always there to support new and existing customers. He is an outstanding man.”
You may also want to watch:
Daniel, who runs Daniel Lawrence Plumbing, Heating and Drainage, said he was “overwhelmed” to be nominated for an award – but it was a team effort.
The 45-year-old started his business with friend, Stacy Groombridge.
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 6 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 9 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 10 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
He has been plumping for 15 years and a gas engineer for nine years, after moving to England from Ireland more than 25 years ago.
Daniel said: “The one person that keeps all this together and running correctly and efficiently is my partner Samantha, without her our daily routine would be extremely difficult because she really is fantastic at what she does.
“We also have Charlie Houghton who again, like Stacy, is great with customers friendly polite and works to a high standard.
“Thank you so much for the nomination to be recognised in the Ely Hero Awards I appreciate this so much.”
Nominations for the annual community awards were extended for the first time this year following the coronavirus outbreak.
Judges met for their first virtual discussion via video last week to begin the process of shortlisting and meeting finalists at a social distance.
Organisers said: “Fantastic meeting with the #elyheroawards2020 judging panel.
“Shortlisting and finalising all this year’s nominees is underway as part of the continuation plan to celebrate our community heroes.
“Remember to check your messages folks in the next few weeks!”
Search Ely Heroes on Facebook for the latest information.