Ely accountancy firm to distribute jute bags to clients in support of city’s plastic bag-free bid
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of re-useable jute shoulder bags will be given out by an Ely chartered accountancy firm in a bid to turn the city plastic bag-free.
Lovewell Blake’s has commissioned the large capacity jute bags to encourage people to make the switch from plastic.
Staff at the Lynn Road office are the latest to sign up to the iniatiative after the accountants had noticed many clients bringing in files and documents in plastic bags.
“People always think of shops and supermarkets as being where plastic bag use takes place, but we believe that every business in Ely has a responsibility to help its customers phase out the use of plastic bags,” said Leigh Thurston, partner at the firm’s Ely office.
“Although our new bags are specially designed to carry folders and documents, we hope people will use them when they go shopping as well, cutting down still further on the need for single-use bags.”
You may also want to watch:
Lovewell Blake, which has ten offices across Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire has undertaken a number of initiatives over the past 18 months to reduce plastic usage, including issuing every member of staff with a water bottle in order to phase out single-use plastic cups at water coolers across the firm.
Ely announced in October that it was aiming to be the first city in the UK to be declared plastic bag-free.
- 1 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road