Plans For The Future Regeneration Of Soham Have Gone On Show
PLANS for the next generation of development and regeneration in Soham have gone on show to residents this week. The Soham Vision has been more than a year in the making and the impressive 80-page document formally went on show on Feb 17. The Vision, whi
PLANS for the next generation of development and regeneration in Soham have gone on show to residents this week.
The Soham Vision has been more than a year in the making and the impressive 80-page document formally went on show on Feb 17.
The Vision, which brought together hundreds of local people throughout the research and design process, sets out a blueprint for the future of development in Soham for the next 20 years.
Councillor Derrick Beckett, chairman of the Soham Masterplan Vision Working Party, said: "There has been an incredible amount of support for the draft Masterplan over the last year, with residents in Soham getting behind the ideas and concepts which we have put forward.
You may also want to watch:
"We have already had great success talking to individuals, businesses and organisations about how the town should look over the next 20 years - they are keen to develop the possibilities of the town. The key now is to harness this genuine excitement one more time as we get closer to completing our work."
The plan will look at gateways to Soham from the east and west, employment opportunities and a revitalised town centre. There is also the possibility of a new railway station, although it is still unclear whether the new station would be for passengers or merely freight.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 3 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 4 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 5 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 6 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 'Support this local attraction,’ MP urges on museum visit
As part of the consultation there will be a two-day public exhibition at Soham Methodist Church Hall on the March 11 and 13, presentations at local Neighbourhood Panel meetings and permanent displays at the Soham Pavilion and the library.
Copies of the draft plan will also be available on line and in paper copies throughout the consultation along with questionnaires to feedback on the draft plan.
Cllr Mark Duckworth, member for Soham South for East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: "The feedback I have had from residents, businessmen and investors in Soham is they are prepared to take the bull by the horns and turn their town into something which is one of the best places to live and work in the region.
"They are determined, as we all are, to make the market town stand out and also meet the challenges we will face this century as we get set to grow our economy."
INFO: call 01353 665555 or log on to www.eastcambs.gov.uk.