Plans for over 100 ‘convenient’ and ‘safer’ parking spaces at Ely railway station to be submitted by East Cambs District Council
- Credit: Archant
Commuters that use Ely railway station could be set to receive a boost of 100 additional parking spaces if a planning application submitted by East Cambridgeshire District Council is approved.
The council has purchased land close to the Tesco ‘Click and Collect’ depot at The Dock, and it is hoped that over 100 car parking spaces and a lit walkway to the station’s existing car park will be built.
The station currently has 143 spaces for parking, and it is expected that the cost of parking in the new spaces will be the same as the Angel Drove car park - £3 per day or £12 per week.
Chairman of the Asset Development Committee, Councillor Bill Hunt says that work will begin as soon as plans are submitted and approved.
He said: “I’m delighted to announce that we have acquired this land with the express aim of providing new, more convenient and safer parking close to Ely railway station.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be of great benefit to commuters and other train users and we are providing a convenient lit walkway to link up with the existing car park.
“The next stage is to draw up detailed plans and apply for full planning approval. If the plans are approved, we will aim to start work on this car park as soon as possible.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
Lib Dem councillor, Lorna Dupre, also welcomed the proposed new parking spaces. She said: “Parking for users of the station has been under pressure for some time. Additional spaces will be welcome to serve the needs of Ely’s expanding population, and encourage more people to travel by public transport to Cambridge and elsewhere.”