Plans For New Traveller Site To Go Before Council
CONTROVERSIAL plans to build two traveller sites on open countryside in Soham are to be put before councillors on Wednesday (Nov 4). Under the proposals, which were recommended for refusal by planning officers at East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC
CONTROVERSIAL plans to build two traveller sites on open countryside in Soham are to be put before councillors on Wednesday (Nov 4).
Under the proposals, which were recommended for refusal by planning officers at East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC), a 1.8 acre site at Long Dolver Drove would be cleared to accommodate sites for two traveller families with a total of four mobile housing units.
The plans were submitted by landowner Mrs S Martin and have attracted widespread criticism for local residents and neighbours who have highlighted concerns regarding the toxicity of the land, the potential burdensome increase in traffic and inadequate access to and from the site in their petition to the council.
The plans were also condemned by Soham Parish Council which raised concerns about a lack of nearby amenity to support the increase in population.
You may also want to watch:
Government legislation requires East Cambridgeshire to make urgent provision for up to 35 traveller pitches in time for 2011 and six of those pitches were required to be built in Soham.
To date, the town has built only half of its required target but despite the pressing need for the town to fulfil its quota, council planners recommended the plans be refused due to issues regarding highway safety.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 3 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 'Savage' attack left man without spleen