Planning conditions altered to allow deadline extension on school building
- Credit: Archant
A series of features due to be built alongside a new primary school in Ely could be delayed until months after the facility is open.
Delays to the building of the school, in Cam Drive, has already seen the opening date pushed back from September until January next year but contractors straining to complete the job now say several elements of the build, including cycle spaces, will be delayed further still.
Under the terms of the planning permission granted to Cambridgeshire County Council in 2014, all cycle parking and solar panels had to be completed before the school was open to pupils.
But, this week, planning agent Strutt and Parker was granted permission to amend the terms of its permission, allowing it up until May 2016 to complete elements of the work.
In its submission the council, the agents said: “There is a large area of cycle parking which is situated to the east of the school, which will be available and ready for occupation in 2015.
You may also want to watch:
“The vast majority of the remaining areas of cycle parking are situated to the north of the school building, which will only be built and occupied by the spring of 2016.
We therefore need this condition to be varied.”
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
The Isle of Ely Primary School’s new facility had been due to welcome pupils for the first time in September but delays with the building work mean it won’t be ready to open until January 2016.
Cambridgeshire County Council has reached agreement with St Mary’s Primary School for Isle of Ely pupils to use some of their facilities until Christmas.
St Mary’s will also provide additional classrooms so the Isle of Ely Primary School can accommodate reception children starting in September.
In total, up to 120 Isle of Ely children will be sharing facilities with St Mary’s until the new school, in Cam Drive, is complete.