Planning Approval Granted For New Art Department At Ely's King's School
PLANNING approval has been granted to the King s School Ely for a �3.5m arts complex to be built in the same quadrangle as the Gibson Music School and the Hayward Theatre. The project will also provide an extension to the theatre and a redeveloped Drama
PLANNING approval has been granted to the King's School Ely for a �3.5m arts complex to be built in the same quadrangle as the Gibson Music School and the Hayward Theatre.
The project will also provide an extension to the theatre and a redeveloped Drama School providing two studios, seminar space, costume store and other storage space.
For six years in succession, King's students have achieved among the top five marks nationally in A-level art and design, and textiles specialist Gareth Roberts has just joined the team of fashion designer Vivienne Westwood.
Once the building is completed, the art department will vacate the historic Catherine Needham's building on Back Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Sue Freestone, said: "The arts have always been high on the agenda at King's and the standards achieved in both performing and creative arts in the school are exceptional. I am delighted that the school's governors have committed to this development which will inspire pupils to even greater success.
"The moving of the art department will also allow us to increase space for the sixth form which has grown exponentially in recent years and currently has no proper space to call its own.
- 1 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 2 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 3 Glass artist's angel wings sculpture is a poignant tribute
- 4 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 5 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 6 Letter: Final call to book Covid vaccination
- 7 Father's Day messages inside this week's newspaper
- 8 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 9 A nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Catering wars as converted horsebox trailer takes on National Trust