Planning Approval Granted For New Art Department At Ely's King's School
PLANNING approval has been granted to the King s School Ely for a �3.5m arts complex to be built in the same quadrangle as the Gibson Music School and the Hayward Theatre. The project will also provide an extension to the theatre and a redeveloped Drama
PLANNING approval has been granted to the King's School Ely for a �3.5m arts complex to be built in the same quadrangle as the Gibson Music School and the Hayward Theatre.
The project will also provide an extension to the theatre and a redeveloped Drama School providing two studios, seminar space, costume store and other storage space.
For six years in succession, King's students have achieved among the top five marks nationally in A-level art and design, and textiles specialist Gareth Roberts has just joined the team of fashion designer Vivienne Westwood.
Once the building is completed, the art department will vacate the historic Catherine Needham's building on Back Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Sue Freestone, said: "The arts have always been high on the agenda at King's and the standards achieved in both performing and creative arts in the school are exceptional. I am delighted that the school's governors have committed to this development which will inspire pupils to even greater success.
"The moving of the art department will also allow us to increase space for the sixth form which has grown exponentially in recent years and currently has no proper space to call its own.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 6 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 7 Author opens school’s new library
- 8 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 9 Town considers home for market
- 10 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate