Planners save the last dance for Littleport charity’s hall
THERE was relief for a Littleport youth charity this week after permission was granted for it to continue running a popular dance hall in the village.
Young People Littleport (YPL) had been holding classes in its new dance studio and hall in Victoria Street since February but was told by East Cambridgeshire District Council in September that it did not have the correct planning permission.
The charity was forced to submit an application for retrospective permission but neighbours of the building, which used to be a supermarket, opposed the application and claimed that the building would create a noise nuisance.
Much to the charity’s relief however, the planning committee voted on Wednesday (November 7) to approve the change of use of the building, though the permission is subject to more information being provided on the access door to the premises.
In his submission to the council, YPL founder Phil Malkin said: “YPL has been in Grandy Street for over five years and, to my knowledge, not one complaint has been made about any activities at the centre.
You may also want to watch:
“Considering our track record so far, I feel I am more than able to assure all residents within the vicinity of 11 Victoria Street that we will not hold any activities which will cause any offence.”
Mr Malkin added that, now permission has been granted, he would seek to install new acoustic curtains to ensure any noise was mitigated.
- 1 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 6 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 More GP surgeries prepare to give Covid-19 vaccinations
- 9 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 10 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation