Planners save the last dance for Littleport charity’s hall
THERE was relief for a Littleport youth charity this week after permission was granted for it to continue running a popular dance hall in the village.
Young People Littleport (YPL) had been holding classes in its new dance studio and hall in Victoria Street since February but was told by East Cambridgeshire District Council in September that it did not have the correct planning permission.
The charity was forced to submit an application for retrospective permission but neighbours of the building, which used to be a supermarket, opposed the application and claimed that the building would create a noise nuisance.
Much to the charity’s relief however, the planning committee voted on Wednesday (November 7) to approve the change of use of the building, though the permission is subject to more information being provided on the access door to the premises.
In his submission to the council, YPL founder Phil Malkin said: “YPL has been in Grandy Street for over five years and, to my knowledge, not one complaint has been made about any activities at the centre.
You may also want to watch:
“Considering our track record so far, I feel I am more than able to assure all residents within the vicinity of 11 Victoria Street that we will not hold any activities which will cause any offence.”
Mr Malkin added that, now permission has been granted, he would seek to install new acoustic curtains to ensure any noise was mitigated.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face