Planned Postal Strike In Ely Will Go Ahead. ""Good Basic Wage"" says Ely Postman - See Letters
POSTAL workers in East Cambridgeshire will join hundreds of colleagues from around the UK in planned strike action tomorrow as the deadlock between Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) continues. Up to 80 postman and delivery office staff
POSTAL workers in East Cambridgeshire will join hundreds of colleagues from around the UK in planned strike action tomorrow as the deadlock between Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) continues.
Up to 80 postman and delivery office staff at centres in Ely, Soham, Isleham and Haddenham will walk out in protest over Royal Mail Ely's planned cuts in jobs and deliveries in the area.
Royal Mail has already cut the city's night shift and reduced the postal service in Wilburton from two postmen to one, as well as cutting back on business deliveries in Ely. Further plans to cut an additional 17 jobs in the area have been described by the union as 'draconian'.
Staff in Ely will be striking from 4am to 8pm, while fellow union members in Soham, Haddenham and Isleham will strike from 6am to 4pm.
You may also want to watch:
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Turn to our Letters section to find out what some postman in Ely think about the planned strike action.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 3 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 4 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 5 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 8 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 9 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 10 Our guide to The Library Presents' spring outdoor events series