Plan to modernise village post office is welcomed by MP
- Credit: Archant
South East Cambridgeshire MP Sir Jim Paice has welcomed plans to modernise Bottisham Post Office.
The proposals are part a national investment plan for Post Office branches and work has already been carried out on branches in Sutton and Isleham over the past year.
Under the plans for Bottisham, services will be offered from a new till on the retail counter, rather than from separated screened counters.
The branch would also be open for longer - from Monday to Sunday, 6am-8pm.
The current opening times are: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday from 9am– 12:30pm.
The Post Office has launched a consultation and review period before a final decision is made, giving residents an opportunity to have a say on the plans.
The deadline for responses has been set at July 9.
- 1 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 2 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 3 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 4 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
- 5 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 6 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 7 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Alisa, 17, on how refillable candle business went viral in just five months
- 10 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
Sir Jim said: “The post office provides vital services in our communities, particularly in places like Bottisham. I am pleased that the proposed changes include longer opening hours.
“I would encourage local residents to engage with the Post Office consultation period to ensure that this important service continues to meet Bottisham’s needs.”
The branch may need to close for approximately three days during August and/or September 2014 while the refurbishment takes place. An information poster will be put up in branch at least two weeks before the refurbishment takes place.