Plan To Build Flats Near To Ely Cathedral Is Described As ""Missed Opportunity
PLANS to build flats on a site adjoining Ely Cathedral were rejected by councillors, who described the application as a missed opportunity. At a meeting of the planning committee last week, councillors roundly criticised the plans as inappropriate and u
PLANS to build flats on a site adjoining Ely Cathedral were rejected by councillors, who described the application as 'a missed opportunity.'
At a meeting of the planning committee last week, councillors roundly criticised the plans as inappropriate and unsuitable for the sensitive location on Fore Hill which adjoins the Grade I listed Ely Cathedral and Almonry.
According to the plans, submitted by Premier Travel Holdings Ltd, the small site would be cleared to make way for four residential flats but the application came under fire from both City of Ely Council and English Heritage and was unanimously rejected by councillors.
Councillor James Palmer, said: "This application seems to me to be an awful waste. To put flats in this area when there is a huge amount of people who walk through is I think, a missed opportunity.
"I think this area would be better served with a well designed mixed use development."
Councillor Palmer's sentiments were echoed by district and city councillor Brian Ashton, "The city council's view is that the proposal misses a good opportunity. We believe that the area should feature much more of a mixed use element," he said.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 3 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 7 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 8 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 9 Arts centre gets £25,000 post-Covid lifeline
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021