Plan To Build Flats Near To Ely Cathedral Is Described As ""Missed Opportunity
PLANS to build flats on a site adjoining Ely Cathedral were rejected by councillors, who described the application as a missed opportunity. At a meeting of the planning committee last week, councillors roundly criticised the plans as inappropriate and u
PLANS to build flats on a site adjoining Ely Cathedral were rejected by councillors, who described the application as 'a missed opportunity.'
At a meeting of the planning committee last week, councillors roundly criticised the plans as inappropriate and unsuitable for the sensitive location on Fore Hill which adjoins the Grade I listed Ely Cathedral and Almonry.
According to the plans, submitted by Premier Travel Holdings Ltd, the small site would be cleared to make way for four residential flats but the application came under fire from both City of Ely Council and English Heritage and was unanimously rejected by councillors.
Councillor James Palmer, said: "This application seems to me to be an awful waste. To put flats in this area when there is a huge amount of people who walk through is I think, a missed opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
"I think this area would be better served with a well designed mixed use development."
Councillor Palmer's sentiments were echoed by district and city councillor Brian Ashton, "The city council's view is that the proposal misses a good opportunity. We believe that the area should feature much more of a mixed use element," he said.
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 9 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 10 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line