Pied Piper Makes His First Appearance In Ely At The Weekend
THE Pied Piper of Ely made his first appearance in the city at the weekend, leading a crowd of people around various tourist attractions. Tony Pearson, who came up with the concept as a way of making a positive contribution to Ely, enjoyed his inaugura
THE Pied Piper of Ely made his first appearance in the city at the weekend, leading a crowd of people around various tourist attractions.
Tony Pearson, who came up with the concept as a way of making a "positive contribution" to Ely, enjoyed his inaugural quarter-day walk.
He said: "It's a way of me playing the music that I love and doing it in a way that will make a positive contribution to the city."
He continued: "My first walk went very well. Lots of people had their picture taken with the Pied Piper and I was followed by many tourists. I will definitely be doing this regularly - whenever I see the opportunity to."
You may also want to watch:
As well as raising the profile of Ely's many attractions, including Oliver Cromwell's house, the cathedral and the museum - all of which featured as stops on his walk - Mr Pearson is hoping to raise the profile of the National Blood Service.
He explained: "The mayor has a charity he supports so I thought I would pick a good cause to support too. Rather than ask people for donations of money, though, I thought I would try and get more people to donate blood."
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 7 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 10 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
Mr Pearson, of Ely Road, Prickwillow, has donated more than 50 pints of blood himself and has been given a gold award for his contributions by the blood service.
INFO: Visit www.tonypearson.co.uk for more information about the Pied Piper of Ely.
5458HD0609: Pied Piper Tony Pearson was out raising the profile of Ely on Saturday.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE