Phones 4 U on its way to Ely, but future unclear for city’s post office
- Credit: Archant
MOBILE phone firm Phones 4 U has submitted plans to move into Ely’s High Street, casting fresh doubt on the future of the city’s post office.
Phones 4 U submitted plans to East Cambridgeshire District Council this week to install new signs at Lloydspharmacy, in High Street, which also occupies the post office.
Lloydspharmacy announced its intention earlier this year to move out of the High Street shop and into St Mary’s GP surgery, in St Mary’s Street.
Lloyds insisted that negotiations to take over running the post office were taking place, saying it had “secured an interested party to take over the post office business on the High Street” and that it was “currently going through the necessary processes with the post office.”
The Post Office acknowledged this week that the High Street premises would be “withdrawn later this year” but that it was “committed” to keeping a post office in Ely at a new location.
You may also want to watch:
A Post Office spokesman said: “We are aware that the agent which operates Ely post office has expressed an interest in leaving and that the premises will be withdrawn for post office use later this year.
“Customers should be assured that the Post Office is committed to maintaining a service in Ely and we will soon be in a position to announce our public consultation about the relocation of this branch.“
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 4 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road