Pets rescued from Soham blaze

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a dog and two cats from a house fire in Soham.

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a dog and two cats from a house fire in Soham.

The blaze, believed to have been caused by an unattended candle, took hold at about 12.40pm on Wednesday with one crew

from Ely and two crews from Soham were called to a house fire at Foxwood South.

A neighbour heard the smoke alarm and on investigation saw flames in the house. Having knocked on the door to see if anyone was in the house, she dialled 999.


You may also want to watch:


Firefighters arrived and gained access to the home and rescued a dog and two cats.

The animals were all given oxygen therapy by firefighters as they were suffering from smoke inhalation.

Most Read

Crews used two hose reels to extinguish a fire in the lounge of the property.

Richard Powell, Watch Manager at Soham Fire Station said: “The lounge is completely smoke damaged and around half of the lounge is fire damaged. There is also smoke damage to the hall and kitchen.

“All of this damage was caused by just one candle, and it is only thanks to the smoke alarm and the actions of the neighbour that this wasn’t a far more serious fire.

“Never leave candles unattended, even for a short amount of time, and never place them near anything flammable.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus