Pets rescued from Soham blaze

PUBLISHED: 08:45 27 January 2011

Four crews attended the Cottenham fire

Four crews attended the Cottenham fire

Archant

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a dog and two cats from a house fire in Soham.

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a dog and two cats from a house fire in Soham.

The blaze, believed to have been caused by an unattended candle, took hold at about 12.40pm on Wednesday with one crew

from Ely and two crews from Soham were called to a house fire at Foxwood South.

A neighbour heard the smoke alarm and on investigation saw flames in the house. Having knocked on the door to see if anyone was in the house, she dialled 999.

Firefighters arrived and gained access to the home and rescued a dog and two cats.

The animals were all given oxygen therapy by firefighters as they were suffering from smoke inhalation.

Crews used two hose reels to extinguish a fire in the lounge of the property.

Richard Powell, Watch Manager at Soham Fire Station said: “The lounge is completely smoke damaged and around half of the lounge is fire damaged. There is also smoke damage to the hall and kitchen.

“All of this damage was caused by just one candle, and it is only thanks to the smoke alarm and the actions of the neighbour that this wasn’t a far more serious fire.

“Never leave candles unattended, even for a short amount of time, and never place them near anything flammable.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists