Petition aims to gain third GP surgery for Ely to increase patient choice and cater for a growing population
- Credit: Archant
Around 100 people have already signed a petition calling for a new doctors’ surgery in Ely.
The city’s Liberal Democrats launched the petition just over a week ago and hope to bring pressure on local NHS bosses to get a third GP practice.
City councillors Christine Whelan and Alison Whelan, who are both standing for election in the upcoming county council elections in May, are championing the petition.
Christine explained the move comes amid fears the current practices are almost full to bursting, with the St Mary’s surgery unable to expand further because of its location.
The Cathedral Medical Centre, which is based at the Princess of Wales Hospital, could expand but Alison said, that leaves residents with little or no choice about their GP.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “St Mary’s is either at capacity, or very close to it, and is unable to take on new patients. That means there is only the Cathedral practice available for patients. If someone has a problem with their doctor and wants to move practice, there is no-where for them to go.
“I had a problem myself after I was misdiagnosed a few years ago and the practice was not doing very well in its ratings. But that has changed now and both the Cathedral and St Mary’s provide excellent care for their patients. The Cathedral surgery gets a 94 per cent satisfaction rating.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
“That, is of course, great but what we want to see is more patient choice. So people can choose where they see a doctor. The siting of a new practice will be a matter for public debate, but people have said they would like to see one either in the south or west of the city.”
Christine added: “Ely is a growing City, but not all our infrastructure has kept pace with this growth. Ely and the surrounding area is expected to grow by about 12,000 people over the coming years. Cathedral Medical Centre currently has 10,326 patients and St Mary’s Surgery has 15,597 patients. To cope with the influx of additional residents, Ely needs to plan for a third GP practice.
“In view of this Alison Whelan and I have launched a petition to try to pressurise the NHS in providing a third surgery.”
To sign the petition go to: http://www.elylibdems.org/new_doctors_practice