Petition against precept increase handed to MP
A PETITION carrying the names of almost 1000 parishioners in Sutton opposed to a 27.8 per cent increase in the parish council’s precept was presented to MP Stephen Barclay.
Residents joined local councillors on Friday to present the petition to Mr Barclay at his constituency office in Chatteris, before it is handed on to Local Government Minister Eric Pickles.
Villagers Gitta Evans and Chris Drury, who helped organise the petition, will also be presenting it to the chairman of Sutton Parish Council at the authority’s annual meeting, held tonight (April 21) at 7.30pm.
Mrs Evans said: “Stephen spent about an hour with us and was supportive of our cause and the concerns that were raised.”
Mrs Evans also said that a new website had been launched for villagers to share their concerns and thoughts, www.suttonvoice.org.
You may also want to watch:
The decision to increase the parish precept by 27.8 per cent was taken in January, taking Sutton’s total precept to �166,500, the third largest in the district.
Although tax increases at district and county level are capped by the Government, parish councils do not have a ceiling.
- 1 Independent shop full of fresh food – despite national shortage
- 2 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 3 Mark's 27 unanswered questions over volunteers to control parking
- 4 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 5 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 6 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 7 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 8 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations