People Of Soham Can Have Their Say On Future Of Town
THE people of Soham will have the opportunity to have a say on the future of the town next week. Anyone who lives, or works in the town, can go to the Pavilion on Soham recreation ground on Wednesday (March 25), where discussions, surveys and thoughts ca
THE people of Soham will have the opportunity to have a say on the future of the town next week.
Anyone who lives, or works in the town, can go to the Pavilion on Soham recreation ground on Wednesday (March 25), where discussions, surveys and thoughts can be given and recorded.
The concept has been put together by Soham's district councillors and supported by the town council, Soham Vision, the document laying out the future of the town over the next 10 years, will be drawn up based on what members of the public want to see in the place they live. More than �30,000 of funding has been put in place to draw it up with help of consultants Entec.
"We particularly want to hear from the young," said Soham councillor Tony Parramint. "I might not be around in Soham in 20 years but other people will be bringing up children here," he added.
You may also want to watch:
"Put the ideas forward first - the public have got first bite of the cherry, if you like."
"It is very easy to fall into the trap of being negative but what we want to know is how Soham can get better," added Derrick Beckett, a lifelong Isleham resident whose family have looked to Soham as their town centre for decades.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 3 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
"Soham needs to regain its confidence and I think it is important that we work together to bring this about. The town needs to be positive about its future, thinking hard about how it can improve. But we need your help. We need those who live, work and visit Soham to let us know what they think and want from your town. For us it is about making the place where you live your own. There is a growing feel good factor developing about the town and even talk that Soham could be the next postcode to watch for people who can see the potential."
Town and district councillors drummed up awareness of the meeting with shoppers outside the Co-op on Saturday morning.
INFO: Soham Vision public exhibition is at the Pavilion, on Fountain Lane recreation ground, 3.30pm-8pm on Wednesday, March 25. Presentations will be 5-5.45pm and 6.30-7.15pm, but no appointments are necessary. For those who can't make the day itself, an online survey is available at www.eastcambs.gov.uk and click on Masterplans.