Peace, tolerance and harmony for scouts
YOUNGSTERS across the district joined 28 million Scouts in a worldwide display of peace, tolerance and harmony to celebrate 100 years since Scouting started. Last Wednesday was officially marked as the centenary and the starting point of a new dawn for Sc
YOUNGSTERS across the district joined 28 million Scouts in a worldwide display of peace, tolerance and harmony to celebrate 100 years since Scouting started.
Last Wednesday was officially marked as the centenary and the starting point of a new dawn for Scouting.
About 400,000 Scouts in the UK participated in hundreds of similar events to mark Scouting's Sunrise.
Brownsea Island was the global focal point for the celebrations when at 8am Scouts from more than 160 countries united at a Sunrise Ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
At Ely's Jubilee Gardens, Scouts from around the district took part in a fancy dress hurdles race.
Ely Explorer Scout Nancy Allen, from Witchford, joined 40,000 Scouts for the World Scout Jamboree at Hylands Park, Essex.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 10 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
She said: "If all the young people represented at Jamboree can deliver the Scout promise when they get back home, we really can help build a more peaceful world."
David Briston, from Ely Scouts, said: "If Baden Powell knew just how successful the movement he founded all those years ago had become in being a promoter of global peace, he would be delighted. Only Scouting can bring together so many young people from different backgrounds and I'm looking forward to our next 100 years."
Anyone interested in becoming a Scout or a volunteer should contact Chris Ward on 07803 023862 or e-mailing email@example.com