Peace, tolerance and harmony for scouts
YOUNGSTERS across the district joined 28 million Scouts in a worldwide display of peace, tolerance and harmony to celebrate 100 years since Scouting started. Last Wednesday was officially marked as the centenary and the starting point of a new dawn for Sc
YOUNGSTERS across the district joined 28 million Scouts in a worldwide display of peace, tolerance and harmony to celebrate 100 years since Scouting started.
Last Wednesday was officially marked as the centenary and the starting point of a new dawn for Scouting.
About 400,000 Scouts in the UK participated in hundreds of similar events to mark Scouting's Sunrise.
Brownsea Island was the global focal point for the celebrations when at 8am Scouts from more than 160 countries united at a Sunrise Ceremony.
At Ely's Jubilee Gardens, Scouts from around the district took part in a fancy dress hurdles race.
Ely Explorer Scout Nancy Allen, from Witchford, joined 40,000 Scouts for the World Scout Jamboree at Hylands Park, Essex.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
She said: "If all the young people represented at Jamboree can deliver the Scout promise when they get back home, we really can help build a more peaceful world."
David Briston, from Ely Scouts, said: "If Baden Powell knew just how successful the movement he founded all those years ago had become in being a promoter of global peace, he would be delighted. Only Scouting can bring together so many young people from different backgrounds and I'm looking forward to our next 100 years."
Anyone interested in becoming a Scout or a volunteer should contact Chris Ward on 07803 023862 or e-mailing email@example.com