PCSO laments ‘near obsession’ with guns among young people
- Credit: Archant
A PCSO says a “near obsession” with guns among young people is “chilling”.
Jonathan Hall says he has become increasingly concerned about the interest shown by young people with guns and of the role of computer games in fuelling their fascination.
In a blog post, he said: “Rather concerning, is young people’s fascination with guns. Whenever I present a school talk, all the children want to know is, have I got a gun, have I shot anyone. These are young children, and their near obsession with fire arms is chilling.”
PCSO Hall said his biggest problem with dealing with youngsters used to be anti-social drinking and rowdy behaviour in parks but he said targeted action had rendered them “a thing of the past”.
Now the Ely-based officer said the casual attitude of young people towards violence and guns was becoming a more pressing concern.
You may also want to watch:
He noted: “Recently, I was out and about on patrol on my bike in Ely. As I passed the cannon on Cathedral Green, one young lad playing who was playing with his sibling, shouted “Police! Get him!” his young face contorted into a snarl, his hand became a gun and he started ‘shooting’ at me.
“I found it very disturbing, he was probably about six or seven-years-old. His mum never battered a eye lid. Where did someone so young get this attitude from?
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
“I am glad the children no longer appear to be underage drinking, but I am not sure being the last human soldier in freedom city with a never ending supply of bullets, to destroy a never ending supply of Zombies is the answer. Also, seeing the police as the enemy is very concerning in the very least. What will the future hold I wonder?”
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF or e-mail email@example.com