PCSO calls on drivers to “play fair” over parking
- Credit: Archant
A police community support officer has urged drivers to “play fair” when it comes to parking in Ely.
PCSO Jonathan Hall said motorists were lucky to enjoy free parking in the city but acknowledged that it often caused “emotions to run high” as there were “too many of us with cars all looking for a parking space”.
In order to help the situation, PCSO Hall called on drivers to be aware of the parking restrictions, to ensure they got back to their cars on time and without a fine.
According to figures released by East Cambridgeshire District Council, there were 1,082 parking tickets issued in East Cambs in 2011/12, 1,131 in 2012/13 and 936 in 2013/14.
He said: “The motorist in Ely is lucky in as much as we do have free parking in Broad Street, St Mary’s Street, Barton Road, Paradise centre, but there is a limited time allowed. The motorist gets a fair deal you could say.
“Parking will always cause emotions to run high, no matter where you may live. There are just too many of us with cars all looking for a parking space. My message to all motorists of this beautiful city is make the most of the free parking, but if you should park around the town centre, know your time plates.
“The time plate will tell you how long you are allowed to park, and what days of the week are free, and what days are not. They will save you from getting a ticket. Look for them read them, keep an eye on the clock.”
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.