Parking Charges For Ely Move A Step Closer
THE introduction of car park charging in Ely has moved a step closer this week following the publication of a new report into parking in the city. According to the findings of the report, put together by consultancy firm RTA Associates, continuing to prov
THE introduction of car park charging in Ely has moved a step closer this week following the publication of a new report into parking in the city.
According to the findings of the report, put together by consultancy firm RTA Associates, continuing to provide free car parking in Ely was and as a result, the introduction of a new charging system was recommended.
The report was commissioned in September last year by East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC).
The report also suggested that many people surveyed by the consultants expressed a "willingness to pay" for parking and said that many visitors to the city were "surprised and in many cases confused, by the fact that the parking (was) free of charge."
You may also want to watch:
Despite the findings of the report, however, Conservative councillor James Palmer, urged caution, "It is very dangerous at this early stage to start talking about spending money and car parking before we have even agreed to introduce charging for definite in Ely."
At a meeting of the transport committee on Tuesday, councillors agreed to establish a working party to decide if a new scheme was needed in the city and how best to introduce it.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
- 7 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 8 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 9 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
Cllr Ian Allen, transport spokesman for the Liberal Democrat group said: "The Liberal Democrat view has always been that car park charging can be justified providing that any leftover money goes into providing other transport."
There was no announcement on what sort of system could be introduced in the city though the Ely Standard understands a 'pay and display' system could be favoured.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Would you be happy to pay a small fee to park in Ely?
Write to: the editor, Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely. Cambs CB7 4LS or email: email@example.com