Parking Charges For Ely Move A Step Closer
THE introduction of car park charging in Ely has moved a step closer this week following the publication of a new report into parking in the city. According to the findings of the report, put together by consultancy firm RTA Associates, continuing to prov
THE introduction of car park charging in Ely has moved a step closer this week following the publication of a new report into parking in the city.
According to the findings of the report, put together by consultancy firm RTA Associates, continuing to provide free car parking in Ely was and as a result, the introduction of a new charging system was recommended.
The report was commissioned in September last year by East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC).
The report also suggested that many people surveyed by the consultants expressed a "willingness to pay" for parking and said that many visitors to the city were "surprised and in many cases confused, by the fact that the parking (was) free of charge."
Despite the findings of the report, however, Conservative councillor James Palmer, urged caution, "It is very dangerous at this early stage to start talking about spending money and car parking before we have even agreed to introduce charging for definite in Ely."
At a meeting of the transport committee on Tuesday, councillors agreed to establish a working party to decide if a new scheme was needed in the city and how best to introduce it.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 8 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
Cllr Ian Allen, transport spokesman for the Liberal Democrat group said: "The Liberal Democrat view has always been that car park charging can be justified providing that any leftover money goes into providing other transport."
There was no announcement on what sort of system could be introduced in the city though the Ely Standard understands a 'pay and display' system could be favoured.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Would you be happy to pay a small fee to park in Ely?
Write to: the editor, Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely. Cambs CB7 4LS or email: email@example.com