THE January meeting opened with a minute s silence in memory of former parish councillor Ron Barber. Monica Frost was presented with a certificate as Citizen of the Year 2006 in recognition for the work she and her volunteer helpers do running the Day Cen
THE January meeting opened with a minute's silence in memory of former parish councillor Ron Barber.
Monica Frost was presented with a certificate as Citizen of the Year 2006 in recognition for the work she and her volunteer helpers do running the Day Centre in Victoria Street.
# Members agreed to the chairman's request to vary the agenda to receive a 130-signature petition from Meadow Court residents against a possible petrol filling station complex on the A10 bypass and to allow the petitioners the opportunity to speak. The chairman said their views would be considered if and when an application is received.
# The jointly-funded minor improvement traffic scheme for Ely Road has been referred back to committee following an objection from a local resident.
You may also want to watch:
# The half pipe at the Skate Park is being removed on health and safety grounds, following continued vandalism.
# Members voted by a majority to give notice to the police of their intention to withdraw funding for the PCSO in the next financial year.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
# A request for financial assistance from the Littleport Life Magazine Group has been referred to the Finance Committee to consider at their next grants meeting in March. Members then approved the precept for the financial year 2007/8.
# Members considered a Section 106 offer from Matthew Homes on land at Wisbech Road. It was agreed that this offer was in the sprit of what was wanted plus anything the district council seeks to add. Agreed improvements to street lighting should be flagged up.
# Members were very concerned at the imminent loss of the Youth Club Building at the Parson's Lane site. Members agreed to try to delay the demolition of the building through legal channels. A meeting is to be arranged with the school governors to discuss the usage of the community rooms within the newly purpose built primary school.
# Members unanimously agreed to support Welney Parish Council in its desire to see something done about the Wash Road (A1101) following the prolonged closure due to flooding in recent weeks.
# The next meeting of the parish council will be held on February 19 at 7.30pm in The Barn.