Pamela Blakeman’s new book is a reflection of the Ely riverside then and now
- Credit: Archant
An 88-year-old Ely historian launched her new book at Burrow’s Bookshop on Saturday.
It is just over 25 years since The Book of Ely - Pamela Blakeman’s most comprehensive work, was published by Barracuda Books in 1990.
Her final book The Riverside at Ely, published by Ely History Publications, is very different.
It consists of items of local history collected by the late Reg Holmes and by herself.
Surprisingly from Pamela it is quite a chatty book and includes as well as her own memories, those of many people living relatively close to the river.
The book is illustrated by some interesting old and new photos. It gives glimpses of the past and shows how this part of Ely has changed from a working environment to a residential area and one given over to leisure and tourism.
Pamela said: “I have enjoyed putting this book together and hope that a few more of the secrets of Ely’s past are revealed and will be of interest to many Ely residents.”
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 3 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 4 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 7 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
- 9 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
Pamela, born in Broad Street, Ely, and baptised in the Lady Chapel when it was used as Holy Trinity Church, added: “The city with the cathedral, medieval centre and the river is still a wonderful place in which to live.”
Pamela was awarded the freedom of the city in 2009 and subsequently honoured with an MBE.