Pair pedal to Paris to raise money for the British Legion
- Credit: Archant
Two Ely friends are pedalling to Paris for a four day event raising money for the Royal British Legion.
Dave Martin, who works for Boeing Defence UK, and civil servant Marc Beveridge, are in training for the 284km event which takes place in August.
They will be among 250 people cycling from London to France for charity.
Dave Martin said: “I am usually a mountain biker and enjoy things like the Thetford forest trails, road biking is totally different.
“We are in training together and are up to 31 miles after six weeks.
“There a long way to go but we have plenty of time to prepare and can’t wait go do this.”
Dave is the Ely of City branch chairman of the Royal British Legion and Marc is the poppy appeal organiser.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Lloyds Bank are supporting the pair on the day and have agreed to match their fund raising amount up to £500.
They have also been supported by The little Print Shop.
Day one they will cover 129km, day two 121km, day three 107km then day four 101 km.
In between, organisers will forward their luggage and have arranged all the accommodation, food and cycle support.
• The Ely branch raised £37,750.41 during their 2016 Poppy Appeal.
• They will be at The King’s Arms on Saturday 29 from noon to 4pm and then on Ely market on August 19 to raise awareness and money for their pedalling marathon.