Outside lamp cause of fire

PUBLISHED: 16:19 02 November 2006 | UPDATED: 12:06 04 May 2010

SHRUBBERY growing over a Halogen lamp and candles appear to have been the causes of two fires on Tuesday evening. A light left on outside an address in Main Street, Little Downham, ignited shrubbery growing next to the property. Flames licked the outside

SHRUBBERY growing over a Halogen lamp and candles appear to have been the causes of two fires on Tuesday evening.

A light left on outside an address in Main Street, Little Downham, ignited shrubbery growing next to the property. Flames licked the outside of the building and paint on a car parked in the driveway was blistered by the heat. No damage was caused to the interior of the house but the fire service say the blaze would have caused more damage if the windows had been left open.

A fire service spokesman said Halogen lamps generate a lot of heat, particularly if covered.

Fire-fighters were called to a second fire, in Sutton, where candles ignited paper and caused considerable smoke damage to the upstairs of the house.

The public is warned never to leave candles unattended and to extinguish them before going to sleep.

# Cambridgeshire fire service offers a free home fire risk assessment. Anyone interested should telephone 01353 660025, between 9am and 5pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard