Out-building fire ‘most likely’ caused by chiminea spreads to house and neighbouring home on Hawthorn Way, Burwell

PUBLISHED: 11:44 24 May 2016

Burwell House Fire

Burwell House Fire

Archant

A wooden out-building rapidly caught fire on Hawthorn Way, Burwell and spread to a house and neighbouring home on Friday night.

The blaze was “most likely caused by a spark from a chiminea”, said station commander Paul Clarke.

“While these are a great garden feature, care must be taken with their use.”

Firefighters from Burwell and two crews from Newmarket arrived at 6.51pm to find the well-developed blaze.

“The crews immediately called for assistance and did a fantastic job to prevent the fire spreading further,” added commander Clarke.

Wearing breathing apparatus the crews extinguished the fire using hose reels and a jet.

The cause of the fire was accidental and the crews returned to their stations by 9.30pm.

A chiminea is a freestanding front-loading fireplace or oven with a bulbous body and usually a vertical smoke vent.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard