Out-building fire ‘most likely’ caused by chiminea spreads to house and neighbouring home on Hawthorn Way, Burwell
- Credit: Archant
A wooden out-building rapidly caught fire on Hawthorn Way, Burwell and spread to a house and neighbouring home on Friday night.
The blaze was “most likely caused by a spark from a chiminea”, said station commander Paul Clarke.
“While these are a great garden feature, care must be taken with their use.”
Firefighters from Burwell and two crews from Newmarket arrived at 6.51pm to find the well-developed blaze.
“The crews immediately called for assistance and did a fantastic job to prevent the fire spreading further,” added commander Clarke.
You may also want to watch:
Wearing breathing apparatus the crews extinguished the fire using hose reels and a jet.
The cause of the fire was accidental and the crews returned to their stations by 9.30pm.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
A chiminea is a freestanding front-loading fireplace or oven with a bulbous body and usually a vertical smoke vent.