Museum hails 'very successful' annual ploughing match
- Credit: Michael Rouse
Forty-one tractors pitted themselves against one another at what organisers said was a “very successful” Prickwillow Ploughing Match.
Tractors faced off in six different classes at the annual event in Prickwillow on Sunday, October 3 where funds were also raised for the village’s engine museum.
Participants were judged on several disciplines, including the preciseness of their ploughing and the number of holes within a 20-metre section they ploughed in.
“A lot of them were local, but some from further afield including Barrow near Bury St Edmunds and one from Essex,” Kay Whitbread, of Prickwillow Engine Museum, said.
“We had a brilliant day.
“It was good to watch and we were very lucky with the weather, and it was very successful because of the land we ploughed on and the people.”
Around £600 was raised for the museum who are hosting an event at its site on Main Street on December 5.
For more information, call Kay on 07779 063716 or visit the Prickwillow Engine Museum’s Facebook page.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
Prickwillow Engine Museum would like to thank the Peacock family for loaning the land used for the ploughing match.
Horticultural tractors – David Smith. Vintage trailed – Alan Foster. Vintage mounted – Richard Parrott. Two furrow general purpose – David Chambers. Ferguson class – David Allen. Classic – Josh Chambers. Overall winner – Josh Chambers.