Open air theatre wows crowds in Old Palace gardens
- Credit: Archant
THE Old Palace garden at King’s Ely was transformed into an open air theatre when The Lord Chamberlain’s Men performed Shakespeare’s beautiful summer comedy, As You Like It.
The sun shone for the entire performance, which featured romance, clowns, comic peasants, warring brothers, death threats, escape and even a wrestling match.
Reviving the traditions of Elizabethan theatre, The Lord Chamberlain’s Men perform Shakespeare’s most popular plays in the way the bard first envisioned them: with an all-male cast, traditional costume and Elizabethan song and dance.
Adella Charlton, director of performance studies at King’s Ely, said: “I get really excited about the magical experience that The Lord Chamberlain’s Men bring to Ely every summer. This year was particularly special as we hosted the event in the Old Palace garden for the first time.
“It was lovely to join all of our friends in the Ely community for this glimpse into Shakespeare’s world, surrounded by beautiful trees dating from the 17th century, which gave a sense of history and resonance.”
You may also want to watch:
For further information about further productions at the school, please e-mail email@example.com or call 01353 653931.
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 6 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 9 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 10 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like