Open air theatre wows crowds in Old Palace gardens
- Credit: Archant
THE Old Palace garden at King’s Ely was transformed into an open air theatre when The Lord Chamberlain’s Men performed Shakespeare’s beautiful summer comedy, As You Like It.
The sun shone for the entire performance, which featured romance, clowns, comic peasants, warring brothers, death threats, escape and even a wrestling match.
Reviving the traditions of Elizabethan theatre, The Lord Chamberlain’s Men perform Shakespeare’s most popular plays in the way the bard first envisioned them: with an all-male cast, traditional costume and Elizabethan song and dance.
Adella Charlton, director of performance studies at King’s Ely, said: “I get really excited about the magical experience that The Lord Chamberlain’s Men bring to Ely every summer. This year was particularly special as we hosted the event in the Old Palace garden for the first time.
“It was lovely to join all of our friends in the Ely community for this glimpse into Shakespeare’s world, surrounded by beautiful trees dating from the 17th century, which gave a sense of history and resonance.”
You may also want to watch:
For further information about further productions at the school, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01353 653931.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 7 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 8 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 9 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 10 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'