Olympic boost for Witchford’s star pupils
- Credit: Archant
WITCHFORD Village College held its annual Sports Awards evening last Thursday to celebrate students’ sporting prowess and achievements.
The guest speakers at the event were Glenn Kirkham, England hockey player, and Paul Hall, the head coach at Huntingdon Gymnastics Club, who coached Lewis Smith to his silver medal at the London Olympics.
Both speakers gave an insight into their personal journey to the London Olympics which was very well received by both students and parents.
Anna Elia and Jack Alsop were named as Key Stage 3 Sports Girl and Sports Boy of the Year, and Robyn Seabright and Daniel Jeffrey were awarded the Key Stage 4 Sports Girl and Sports Boy of the Year.
In addition, the award for Outstanding Contribution to Sport went to Ben Brown and Sara Divall.
The event was organised by Ann-Marie Latham, vice principal at the college, and supported by the PE staff.
She said: “This event provided the opportunity for the college to acknowledge the outstanding achievements of the students and their role in supporting other young people to improve their performance.”
- 1 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 2 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series