Oh Ye Oh Ye Oh Ye - gather round for Ely’s finest and most fantastic Eel festival - Oh Ye Oh Ye Oh Ye - thousands attend -Oh Ye Oh Ye Oh Ye
- Credit: Archant
Some flirt with the idea of having one, others have tried and done away with them but for Ely the role and tradition of town crier lives on. And oh ye oh ye oh ye did they have plenty to shout out this past weekend.
The weather helped, the meticulous planning was important, and the stuffed toy eels of course quite essential but ultimately Ely’s annual Eel Ely’s festivities rely on people.
And they came in their thousands throughout a Bank Holiday that kicked off on Friday with businesses taking part in eel throwing through to Sunday and Monday with a glorious food and drink festival.
Town crier Avril Hayter Smith welcomed town criers from across the UK on Saturday and, to the enjoyment of many and puzzlement of others, took part in the annual championships by the river.
Our photographic round-up includes of course a photo of Jane Devonshire, the first of two celebrity chefs to attract an audience with a cookery demonstration at the two days given over to food and drink.
You may also want to watch:
Jane, a Master Chef winner, found herself looking out on a festival with more stalls than ever, huge crowds and, in the words of Mike Rouse who took our photos, “a simply amazing event with great family atmosphere”.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire