Ely’s Octagon Cycling Club to pedal 200 miles in one day in aid of charity
- Credit: Archant
Nearly fifty cyclists from Ely’s Octagon Cycling Club are each planning to pedal 200 miles in one day in June to raise money for two local charities.
‘The Double Ton’ will follow a route from Ely, taking in Swaffham, Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds and returning to Ely.
The fundraising group will set off from Ely Cathedral at 4am on Saturday June 30 aiming to return by 8pm the same day.
Training has begun with most riders going out every weekend come rain or shine, in order to acclimatise to the long distances involved.
Octagon Cycling Club raised more than £14,000 in 2016 and £8000 for local charities during previous charity rides, and is well known for fundraising as well as eating cake on their training rides.
This year they’re aiming to raise more than £10,000.
This will be shared between local charities East Anglia Air Ambulance and Beads of Courage, who help children with chronic and long term serious illnesses.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 4 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 5 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 10 Woman dies following crash on A1303
Robin Jones, founder member of Octagon Cycling Club, said: “Some have made the ultimate sacrifice and given up cake and alcohol in January and we regularly cover 60-70 miles on weekend training rides.”
Corporate sponsors are also being sought, who will have their logos on the cyclists’ team kit in return for their donation.
Local businesses wishing to support can contact Octagon Cycling through the website: https://www.octagoncycling.com/double-ton
Any individuals who wish to make a personal donation can do so through the Just Giving site at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/octagon-cycling-club