Ely’s Octagon Cycling Club to pedal 200 miles in one day in aid of charity
- Credit: Archant
Nearly fifty cyclists from Ely’s Octagon Cycling Club are each planning to pedal 200 miles in one day in June to raise money for two local charities.
‘The Double Ton’ will follow a route from Ely, taking in Swaffham, Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds and returning to Ely.
The fundraising group will set off from Ely Cathedral at 4am on Saturday June 30 aiming to return by 8pm the same day.
Training has begun with most riders going out every weekend come rain or shine, in order to acclimatise to the long distances involved.
Octagon Cycling Club raised more than £14,000 in 2016 and £8000 for local charities during previous charity rides, and is well known for fundraising as well as eating cake on their training rides.
You may also want to watch:
This year they’re aiming to raise more than £10,000.
This will be shared between local charities East Anglia Air Ambulance and Beads of Courage, who help children with chronic and long term serious illnesses.
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 4 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 5 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 6 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 7 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 8 Popular Ely pub may never re-open
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Ziggy is missing from Ely - your help is needed
Robin Jones, founder member of Octagon Cycling Club, said: “Some have made the ultimate sacrifice and given up cake and alcohol in January and we regularly cover 60-70 miles on weekend training rides.”
Corporate sponsors are also being sought, who will have their logos on the cyclists’ team kit in return for their donation.
Local businesses wishing to support can contact Octagon Cycling through the website: https://www.octagoncycling.com/double-ton
Any individuals who wish to make a personal donation can do so through the Just Giving site at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/octagon-cycling-club