Ely’s Octagon Cycling Club to pedal 200 miles in one day in aid of charity
- Credit: Archant
Nearly fifty cyclists from Ely’s Octagon Cycling Club are each planning to pedal 200 miles in one day in June to raise money for two local charities.
‘The Double Ton’ will follow a route from Ely, taking in Swaffham, Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds and returning to Ely.
The fundraising group will set off from Ely Cathedral at 4am on Saturday June 30 aiming to return by 8pm the same day.
Training has begun with most riders going out every weekend come rain or shine, in order to acclimatise to the long distances involved.
Octagon Cycling Club raised more than £14,000 in 2016 and £8000 for local charities during previous charity rides, and is well known for fundraising as well as eating cake on their training rides.
You may also want to watch:
This year they’re aiming to raise more than £10,000.
This will be shared between local charities East Anglia Air Ambulance and Beads of Courage, who help children with chronic and long term serious illnesses.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
Robin Jones, founder member of Octagon Cycling Club, said: “Some have made the ultimate sacrifice and given up cake and alcohol in January and we regularly cover 60-70 miles on weekend training rides.”
Corporate sponsors are also being sought, who will have their logos on the cyclists’ team kit in return for their donation.
Local businesses wishing to support can contact Octagon Cycling through the website: https://www.octagoncycling.com/double-ton
Any individuals who wish to make a personal donation can do so through the Just Giving site at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/octagon-cycling-club