Obituary: Ronald Frederick (Big Ron) Neal
Ron Neal died in The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King s Lynn on December 15, aged 67 after a short illness. Ron was the eighth of nine children and the son of Jack and Florence Neal. Born at Folly Farm, Prickwillow, he went to school at Prickwillow and la
Ron Neal died in The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn on December 15, aged 67 after a short illness. Ron was the eighth of nine children and the son of Jack and Florence Neal.
Born at Folly Farm, Prickwillow, he went to school at Prickwillow and later to Needhams, Ely. His first job after leaving school was at Percy Stevens' farm as a farm labourer.
He did National Service in the Royal Artillery and was made a Lance Bombardier. He served in Germany and Cyprus.
After National Service he worked as a fireman on the railway. A big man known as Rocket Ron by his workmates, he drove articulated lorries until the end of his life. He was a committed driver and enjoyed working for his boss Ross Taylor.
You may also want to watch:
In 2001, he met Wendy and they married in July 2002 at Ely Register Office and lived at Bell Holt, Ely.
He had many interests in life, including fishing. He loved his holidays in Ireland with his many friends. For the last three years he worked his allotment growing fruit and vegetables with Wendy. He also enjoyed horse racing and swimming and spending evenings with friends playing cards.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
He leaves one daughter Jackie, step-daughter Tina and her husband Richard and two grandsons Sean and Adam, brothers George, Reg, Roy, and sister Pat.
The funeral took place on December 28 at St Mary's Church Ely.