Obituary: Ronald Frederick (Big Ron) Neal
Ron Neal died in The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King s Lynn on December 15, aged 67 after a short illness. Ron was the eighth of nine children and the son of Jack and Florence Neal. Born at Folly Farm, Prickwillow, he went to school at Prickwillow and la
Ron Neal died in The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn on December 15, aged 67 after a short illness. Ron was the eighth of nine children and the son of Jack and Florence Neal.
Born at Folly Farm, Prickwillow, he went to school at Prickwillow and later to Needhams, Ely. His first job after leaving school was at Percy Stevens' farm as a farm labourer.
He did National Service in the Royal Artillery and was made a Lance Bombardier. He served in Germany and Cyprus.
After National Service he worked as a fireman on the railway. A big man known as Rocket Ron by his workmates, he drove articulated lorries until the end of his life. He was a committed driver and enjoyed working for his boss Ross Taylor.
In 2001, he met Wendy and they married in July 2002 at Ely Register Office and lived at Bell Holt, Ely.
He had many interests in life, including fishing. He loved his holidays in Ireland with his many friends. For the last three years he worked his allotment growing fruit and vegetables with Wendy. He also enjoyed horse racing and swimming and spending evenings with friends playing cards.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
He leaves one daughter Jackie, step-daughter Tina and her husband Richard and two grandsons Sean and Adam, brothers George, Reg, Roy, and sister Pat.
The funeral took place on December 28 at St Mary's Church Ely.