Obituary: DOREEN VEAL
DOREEN Eva Veal of Ely has died at the age of 78. Miss Veal was born in Deacons Lane and lived there all her life. She attended Market Street infants school and Broad Street and Silver Street schools. Her first job was with FW Woolworth on Fore Hill wher
DOREEN Eva Veal of Ely has died at the age of 78.
Miss Veal was born in Deacons Lane and lived there all her life. She attended Market Street infants' school and Broad Street and Silver Street schools.
Her first job was with FW Woolworth on Fore Hill where she worked for more than 40 years until she retired.
She volunteered at the Sue Ryder Home, setting out at 6am each day to prepare breakfast trays for the patients. She was nominated Carer of the Year but declined the honour as she did not want the publicity.
You may also want to watch:
Her home had an open door for lost cats and, once they arrived, they stayed.
She will be sadly missed by her family (nephew Allan and niece Janet), friends and neighbours.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Miss Veal died at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge. Her funeral took place on September 4 at the Cambridgeshire Crematorium.