Obituary: DOREEN VEAL
DOREEN Eva Veal of Ely has died at the age of 78. Miss Veal was born in Deacons Lane and lived there all her life. She attended Market Street infants school and Broad Street and Silver Street schools. Her first job was with FW Woolworth on Fore Hill wher
DOREEN Eva Veal of Ely has died at the age of 78.
Miss Veal was born in Deacons Lane and lived there all her life. She attended Market Street infants' school and Broad Street and Silver Street schools.
Her first job was with FW Woolworth on Fore Hill where she worked for more than 40 years until she retired.
She volunteered at the Sue Ryder Home, setting out at 6am each day to prepare breakfast trays for the patients. She was nominated Carer of the Year but declined the honour as she did not want the publicity.
Her home had an open door for lost cats and, once they arrived, they stayed.
She will be sadly missed by her family (nephew Allan and niece Janet), friends and neighbours.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Miss Veal died at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge. Her funeral took place on September 4 at the Cambridgeshire Crematorium.