Obituary - Charles Albert Cowley
CHARLIE Cowley, of High Barns, Ely, died at Addenbrooke s Hospital in Cambridge on February 6. He was aged 81. He was born at 51 Forehill in Ely and worked as an agricultural engineer for Standen s for 45 years, and was very well-known in the local farmin
CHARLIE Cowley, of High Barns, Ely, died at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge on February 6. He was aged 81.
He was born at 51 Forehill in Ely and worked as an agricultural engineer for Standen's for 45 years, and was very well-known in the local farming community.
During the last war, he served on aircraft maintenance in India, from 1943 to 1945.
His main hobby was his 1942 vintage Indian 741B motorcycle which he exhibited at many local shows and rallies. He was a member of the Indian plus vintage motorcycle club. Charlie was also a keen gardener and mechanic and also enjoyed mending and collecting wall clocks. He was also a member of the Royal British Legion.
You may also want to watch:
He married Gwendoline on January 17, 1948. They had four sons, Richard, of Ely, Douglas, who died in 1966, Ralph of Guyhirn and David of Ely. He is also survived by his nine grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.
The funeral took place on
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 7 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
February 19 at St Mary's Church, Ely, and was led by the Rev Fred Kilner.