Nuisance parking is clamped down on in Ely city centre
- Credit: Archant
Drivers have been targeted for nuisance parking in Ely city centre with fixed penalty notices and an on the spot fine of £90 for a driver who used abusive language when issued with a parking ticket.
Police community support officers have been busy carrying out high visibility foot patrols in Ely including Forehill where vehicles have caused unnecessary obstruction to other road users.
In the High Street vehicles that were parked in loading-only bays but were not loading or unloading were also issued tickets as were those who over stayed the 15 minutes permitted time restriction.
PCSO Maria Robinson said: “While one of these Fixed Penalty Notices was being issued the driver returned to their vehicle. Whilst the reason for issuing the ticket was being explained the driver became very agitated and used foul and abusive language.
“This was clearly heard and witnessed by members of the public and as a result of his language the driver was issued a police notice for disorder.
You may also want to watch:
“This is an on the spot fine of £90 under the Public Order Act.
“While PCSOs understand that receiving any type of parking ticket is not an enjoyable experience we will not tolerate abusive behaviour or language towards us and positive action will be taken against those committing offences.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
One of the nuisance parking notices resulted in a court case at Cambridge Magistrates Court where the driver disputed causing any obstruction despite photographic evidence.
The magistrates convicted the driver who was ordered to pay a total cost of £135.
PCSO PCSO Matt Chennell said: “The community of Ely continue to make parking a priority for police enforcement and we will continue to address parking issues across East Cambridgeshire and will take appropriate action against those committing an offence.”