Now she’s got the key of the door: Julie wins a car at Tesco
LUCKY shopper Julie Hamilton picked the right key to unlock the door and win an �8,000 Hyundai car a the weekend - even though her sprained wrist had prevented her from filling in the competition application form.
Thrilled Julie could not believe her luck when she was first declared a finalist in the competition at the Tesco store in Ely, and then her key matched the door of the car.
Julie, 66, who lives in Ely, said: “I simply couldn’t believe it, I had to ask my husband to pinch me. Once the realisation had sunk in, I felt great. I must thank the lady at the customer service desk who kindly filled in the form for me, I couldn’t write as I sprained my wrist. I love my new car I just think it’s absolutely brilliant.”
“When I received the call to say I was one of five finalists to be selected, I thought it was a joke and almost hung up. I really didn’t expect to win. I just can’t believe my luck – I have never won anything!”
More than 5,000 people entered the store’s free prize draw. Julie and four other hopefuls were picked as finalists, and each finalist chose a golden envelope containing a number from one to five. This number indicated which order they would step forward and select a key to unlock the stunning carbon grey Hyundai i10.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy store manager, Ian Westwood who watched the nail-biting final with a crowd of customers said: “The atmosphere in store was fantastic. I am thrilled for Julie and delighted that Tesco was able to give this beautiful car away. I would like to thank everyone who took part.”
The car was purchased from EMG, and local dealership manager, Mark Greff said: “It’s been a brilliant to be involved in such an exciting competition. I hope Julie enjoys her new car.”
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 3 Catering wars as converted horsebox trailer takes on National Trust
- 4 Suspected building site burglars stopped in their tracks
- 5 Palmer's 'flagship' £100k homes will be council houses
- 6 Welcome to the Fens but can you guess which part?
- 7 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Petition calls for more Cambs busways to be scrapped
- 10 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
The four runners up each picked up a �200 Tesco gift card, and other shoppers also got the chance to win a share of �200.