Nostalgic return to the Rock
LIBERAL Democrat councillor Michael Allan travelled to Gibraltar to catch up with old friends and took time out to talk politics. Cllr Allan, who represents the Fordham villages on the district council, met Dr Joseph Garcia, the country s Liberal Party le
LIBERAL Democrat councillor Michael Allan travelled to Gibraltar to catch up with old friends and took time out to talk politics.
Cllr Allan, who represents the Fordham villages on the district council, met Dr Joseph Garcia, the country's Liberal Party leader.
They discussed the recent elections in Gibraltar and last May's East Cambridgeshire District Council elections and compared voting systems and campaigning methods.
The trip to Gibraltar was nostalgic for Cllr Allan, who served there as a corporal in the Royal Fusiliers in the 1960s.
Once a year he returns to catch up with friends and his meeting with Dr Garcia was featured in the Gibraltar Chronicle and on the country's Gibfocus website.
During his Army posting in the country, Cllr Allan got the opportunity to pursue his love of music and was even invited to play piano alongside guitarist William Gomez on national television.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
He staged a number of musicals including The Sound of Music and The Boyfriend before leaving the Army for Cambridgeshire where he trained young musicians in Bassingbourn.
Cllr Allan said of his meeting with Dr Garcia: "I had met him briefly two or three years ago and I thought I would just go and say 'hi'.
"I was with him for about an hour. He is also the co-leader of the opposition party because in Gibraltar the Liberals and Labour work together against the Tories.
"I like to go back to Gibraltar once a year in the winter. When it's damp and cold over here, the weather is fine over there.