Night terrr as masked men attack taxi driver
ELY taxi driver Jenny Cle was left shaken and shcked after tw masked men rbbed her late at night. Mrs Cle, 54, was driving hme frm a jb in Main Street, Witchfrd at 11pm n Mnday night, when a red car frced her t stp, blcking her rute t th
ELY taxi driver Jenny Cle was left shaken and shcked after tw masked men rbbed her late at night.
Mrs Cle, 54, was driving hme frm a jb in Main Street, Witchfrd at 11pm n Mnday night, when a red car frced her t stp, blcking her rute t the Lancaster Way rundabut. Tw men in balaclavas gt ut and demanded mney.
"At first I thught they were just ging t drive past and give me the finger r smething, because I was driving at abut 35mph. There was n hurry, I'd finished all my jbs and was listening t a slw sng that I liked n the radi," said Mrs Cle. "They vertk me, and then stpped, but when I tried t pull ut, they blcked the rad in frnt f me. It was as if the car came frm nwhere - it all happened s fast and 30 secnds later ne f them had smashed my side windw. The man pushed smething cld and metal against my left shulder. At that pint I thugh 'he's gt a gun.'"
Mrs Cle then realised the man had a large spanner, which he had used t smash thrugh her windw. "He started rifling n the flr, shuting all the time 'give me mney,' but it was pitch black, Gd knws what he thught he was ging t find." The ther man then apprached Mrs Cle's side f the taxi and stle her handbag frm the ftwell f the car. The thieves made ff with less than £50, and Mrs Cle immediately called plice wh brught her back t Alan's taxi ffice in the city centre.
But by 5am the fllwing mrning, a determined Mrs Cle was back in her taxi t pick up a regular custmer frm Witchfrd. "If I hadn't gne back n that rad I wuld have panicked, I wuld have been t wrried t drive at night, but yu can't let them win. I felt safe with a regular custmer in the mrning. If I'd had the day ff they wuld have wn," said Mrs Cle.
"It's kay fr me t be brave but what if there had been a passenger r a child in the back?"
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 10 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
The ffenders are described as white, in their early 20s, and were wearing black trusers, black glves and black jackets with writing acrss the chest.
Investigating fficer DC Dan Btterill, said "This is a very unusual incident and we wuld like t appeal t any drivers wh may have seen this red estate car befre r after this incident t cme frward."
INFO: Anyne with infrmatin can cntact DC Btterill at Ely Plice Statin n 0845 456456 4 r Crimestppers annymusly n 0800 555 111.