Ely drug dealer jailed for three years
- Credit: Archant
An Ely drug dealer who sent police on a chase around Cambridge has been sentenced to three years in prison.
Officers were carrying out routine patrols, after an rise in concerns on drug dealing, when they stopped Nico Bishop,for acting suspiciously.
The 23 year old was asked what he had in his bag and after becoming agitated he ran off.
An officer chased Bishop and saw him throw a white object into a nearby garden, which was later found to be a bag of cocaine, worth £4,000.
PC Matt Smith said: “We will not tolerate the selling of drugs in our county and will do everything we can to disrupt those who form these networks.
“Bishop thought he could evade capture and would get away with his actions by trying to discard the evidence, however, following a lengthy investigation, justice has been served.”
Bishop was eventually caught and arrested at a house a few streets away.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Bishop’s bag was searched and was found to have a small amount of herbal cannabis in it and the white object he was seen to throw was recovered and proved to be cocaine valued in excess of £4,000.
Testing was also carried out on his bag which showed a positive result for cocaine on the lining.
He was charged with possession of a class B drug and possession with intent to supply a class A drug.
Bishop, of Downham Road, Ely, denied the charges, however was found guilty on Friday (July 13) following a three-day trial at Peterborough Crown Court.
The same day he was sentenced to three years in prison for possession with intent to supply cocaine and received no separate penalty for the possession of cannabis.
• To report information about drug dealing please visit www.cambs.police.uk/reportconcern.