Niamh helps the homeless with King’s Ely Socks and Chocs charity donations
- Credit: Archant
A six-year-old from Ely who decided to help those less fortunate than her has led to King’s Ely donating over 400 pairs of socks and chocolate gits to charity.
Niamh Quinn, who is a pupil at King’s Ely Acremont, was walking through Ely with her family earlier this month when she witnessed a group of teenagers being rude to a homeless man in the street.
Having been upset by the incident, Niamh decided she wanted to make the man some dinner when she got home.
With the help of her parents, Rebecca and Sean, Niamh made the homeless man a meal, rounded up some of her chocolates and some pairs of socks, and delivered them to him.
Niamh and her parents later bumped into the man and he was clutching the socks. He told them he was extremely grateful for the gifts.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, Mr Quinn, who is head of psychology at King’s Ely Senior, decided to find out more about Socks and Chocs - a charity group which relieves hardship and distress among homeless people and those living in adverse housing conditions.
Mr Quinn then decided to use the Socks and Chocs group as an example when teaching his AS Level psychology students about social change.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
A Socks and Chocs collection was then launched inside school and with the help of the Quinn family and students and staff at King’s Ely, over 400 pairs of socks and chocolate gifts have been donated.
The Quinn family will be taking the collection to Jimmy’s Cambridge in time for Christmas Day.
Jimmy’s supports hundreds of homeless people and families in Cambridgeshire every year.
To find out more about Socks and Chocs, visit www.socksandchocs.co.uk
For more information about Jimmy’s Cambridge, go to www.jimmyscambridge.net