NHS: You can get the answer – Direct
KEEPING a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home can help you treat many minor ailments that do not last long. Colds, coughs, indigestion and many other minor complaints can all be alleviated with medicines available over the counter. Your pharmacist can a
KEEPING a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home can help you treat many minor ailments that do not last long. Colds, coughs, indigestion and many other minor complaints can all be alleviated with medicines available over the counter.
Your pharmacist can advise on what you might find useful to keep in your medicine cabinet. Always follow the instructions on the medicine label, and consult your doctor if the illness persists or becomes more severe.
The NHS offers a whole host of different services and your local pharmacist is just one. Pharmacists offer qualified free health advice at any time, no appointment necessary. From coughs and colds to aches and pains, they can give you expert help on everyday illnesses.
They can answer questions about prescribed and over the counter medicines and can advise on healthy eating, obesity and giving up smoking.
You may also want to watch:
Some pharmacists have private areas where you can talk in confidence. They may suggest a visit to the GP for more serious symptoms.
An other service is NHS Direct, a 24-hour confidential telephone service enabling you to ring for nurse advice if you are feeling ill and are unsure what to do, or for health information on particular conditions such as diabetes and allergies. NHS Direct can also tell you where to find your nearest GP, pharmacist, or dentist.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
You can call NHS Direct at any time day or night on 0845 4647.
Visit the NHS Direct online website Visit NHS Direct Online on the internet at www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk for health advice and information for you and your family. There's a self-help guide to treating common health problems at home; an encyclopedia covering hundreds of illnesses and conditions; and a directory of local health services such as doctors, pharmacists and dentists.