NHS: Helping to deal with the rise of falls
THE Trust Fall Prevention team is based in Wendreda Day Rehabilitation Unit at Doddington. Falls are unfortunately common in later years and may result in a fracture or reduced independence. Part of the role of the falls team is to raise awareness and edu
THE Trust Fall Prevention team is based in Wendreda Day Rehabilitation Unit at Doddington. Falls are unfortunately common in later years and may result in a fracture or reduced independence.
Part of the role of the falls team is to raise awareness and educate the public and professionals on the many different factors, which can cause falls and also how to avoid and treat.
The team liaises closely with the Ambulance Trust and A & E departments on how to be alerted to patients who have experienced falls. A nurse led falls assessment clinic has recently been launched at Doddington.
# In recent years Doddington patients have benefited enormously from the hard work and generosity of the Friends of Doddington Hospital, who have bought various large and small pieces of equipment, which the trust would otherwise not have the resources to purchase.
The latest most generous purchase is a treadmill for the physiotherapy department, which is used on a daily basis for patients of varying ages and conditions.
# During the evenings, at night and at weekends, GP out of hour's services are provided at Doddington. There is usually a GP and a nurse or paramedic on duty.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
There are many other services offered at the hospital, including podiatry, child and adolescent mental health services, and day hospital for older people with mental illness.
Our national award winning nurse-led anti-coagulation team described in this supplement is based at Doddington. It has seen 15,166 patients during the last 12 months.
Community nursing staff and a team of prescribing advisers are also based there. The PCT-run GP practice at Doddington continues to offer a much-valued service. Development of minor injuries services at Doddington was delayed in 2005 due to financial pressures, but the case has been strengthened by changes in the way funding flows in the NHS, and we hope to commission the service in mid 2006.