Newmarket station creates a warm welcome for visitors arriving at the home of horse racing with a £100,000 improvement scheme
- Credit: Archant
Passengers are benefitting from a £100,000 investment at Newmarket rail station.
It also has new wooden benches, waiting shelters and improved cycle parking.
A card-only automatic ticket machine has also been installed, which, for the first time, allows customers to buy ‘walk up and go’ tickets as well as collect pre-paid tickets and those bought online.
The screen will display relevant information concerning travel restrictions that may apply, helping to ensure customers are easily able to buy the correct and most appropriate ticket for their journey.
The improvements are thanks to the completion of a partnership led project by Abellio Greater Anglia, Newmarket Racecourses, Jockey Club Estates, Tattersalls, Suffolk County Council and Suffolk Coasts and Heaths Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
You may also want to watch:
Abellio Greater Anglia’s area customer service manager, James Steward, said: “This is a significant upgrade to Newmarket station, improving the passenger facilities and creating a more pleasant environment for our customers.”
Amy Starkey, regional director of Jockey Club Racecourses, the owner of Newmarket Racecourses, said: “Newmarket Racecourses and Tattersalls are delighted to have made a significant contribution to improvements to Newmarket station as we strive to create a warm welcome to passengers arriving at the home of horse racing.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
“Newmarket is at the centre of the horse racing and bloodstock industries, which are major employers and investors in this part of East Anglia, and we want to celebrate this long history and heritage on our railway network.
“This is a step forward as we seek to continue the improvements to Newmarket’s environment.”
Rt. Hon Matthew Hancock, MP for West Suffolk, who opens the new facilities on Friday (5), said: “More and more people are using rail services to and from Newmarket, so it is great news that commuters are set to benefit from the £100,000 fund to make Newmarket Railway Station more accessible to all who use it.
“By investing in improving services and facilities, we are investing in Newmarket’s future.”
Work includes jet washing the station platforms, the edging repainted, together with repairs to the car park which has been relined along with new landscaping on the approach road.